Competence Development Centre

Printer-friendly version

The Competence Development Centre has been a structural unit of the National Library of Latvia (NLL) since 2008. The Centre provides professional development opportunities for librarians and carries out tutoring and advisory centre functions in library education. Centre strives for high-quality, innovative learning process and answering the contemporary needs in library field.

The Centre provides numerous non-formal educational programs both regarding professional and basic universal competences. Each year around 500 certificates are issued to the learners of these courses.

In 2016, the National Library of Latvia became an accredited educational institution with the right to implement formal education programmes. Currently the Centre provides two accredited formal educational programs – formal vocational qualification program "Library sciences" (960h) and vocational educational program "Basics of Information and Library sciences" (160h). Also since 2017 NLL has been delegated (delegation agreement between the NLL and State Education Quality Services) to provide an assessment (examination) of non-formal learning outcomes as a basis for allocation the qualification "Librarian".

In the period 2018-2020 National Library of Latvia participated in 2nd and 4th stages of the European Social Fund (ESF) project 8.4.1.0./16/I/001 "Development of professional competence of employed persons". 90% of the tuition fees were covered by the European Social Fund, while the other 10% was learners co-payment. In total 549 individuals applied and 180 of them studied in 4 programs: formal vocational qualification program "Library sciences" (960h), formal vocational education program "Basics of Information and Library sciences" (240h), formal vocational education program "Basics of Information and Library sciences" (160 h) and non-formal educational program "Management of printed and digital resources in a library" (40h).

Blended learning opportunities are explored by using learning platform Moodle (https://macies.lnb.lv/).

Centre also initiates or takes part in different educational projects such as ERASMUS+ projects "Medical Information literacy" and "Andragogy: virtual distant learning system for librarians" (see http://go-andragogy.eu/).

The trainings are held at Mūkusalas iela 3, Level 8. Distant learning opportunities are being explored more starting from 2020.

 

For more information:
Phone: +371 67806129
E-mail: kompetencu.centrs@lnb.lv
https://macies.lnb.lv/